Reminiscence





Reversable blue vest-Dori, White pin tuck kurta- Thrifted, Checkered pallazzo- Dori; Bag- Self made


I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be a Fashion Designer. A lot of people ask me what made me take it up seriously. What is the process that goes behind making a collection and how I started Dori. So this blog post is a reminiscence of that.

I realised I wanted to become a fashion designer when I was 13. I remember how fascinated I was by this show called ‘Lakme India Fashion house’ which was a competition for upcoming designers and was judged by the pioneers, Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla. Every week according to the theme given I used to envision what kind of designing I would do. I guess that is where it all began. After completing a 3 year Diploma and a 2 year bachelors degree I stepped into the actual world of fashion. After working for an ethnic brand in Bangalore for 2 years I decided to start my own line.

After meddling and trashing the idea of starting a contemporary line I decided to do something which has Indian roots. I started exploring and researching about the vast diversity of Indian textiles and handicrafts. I was completely taken aback from the richness that we have which is still unexplored. We have the treasure of textiles and yet we choose to ignore it. I then decided to start Dori from my own roots. Being born in Dharwad, North Karnataka, but being a true metropolitan city girl I decided I will cater to the urban modern girl who is fearless and also knows her roots.

Photographs by Arvind Sridhar

Shop this look here.

Popular Posts