DORI AND YOU | SUDEEPTI TUCKER




















 
Dori and you | Sudeepti Tucker

I first met Sudeepti almost 3 years to the day on a misty day in Kohima. We were both a part of a week long residency with different artists. (I highly recommend BHX for all those looking to meet their tribe) I was following her work before I met her and I am always a little hesitant to meet artists whose work I really admire so that I can view their work without attaching any opinion about the artist themselves. But I am so glad I met her, spent couple of days having the most easy and powerful conversations. I love her work even more now that I know her as a person. 

Sudeepti Tucker is an independent artist and illustrator with practices in New Delhi and Bangalore. Creating in both analog and digital mediums, her work explores themes of nature, expression and femininity while opening up dialogues about roots, identity and image. 

At first glance, her work is powerful, bold and a riot of beautiful colours. Her strong design identity and an eye for details are a delight to see. I got to chance to watch her work in those mornings in Kohima and there is something so calming about her when she is illustrating. In the past couple of years I have seen her work become more internal, personal and vulnerable. Through a combination of lyrical written word and illustrations/mark making she is sharing her experiences, learnings and questions that are incredibly moving. 

Sudeepti says one of the warmest compliment she has received is when she was told that she dresses like one of her painting. I think that captures the colourful personality that she has. Having grown up in Delhi, Sudeepti has always found cottons and comfort as a necessity. Having contemplated with a sense of identity with fashion during her NID days, she later started thinking about her own voice in design that reflected in her clothing choices. With comfort being key, she loves colours, pattern and has a keen eye for vintage clothing. 

The last two years has been a quite a journey for a lot of artists and Sudeepti has seen a shift in her relationship with art as well. Like many artists whose identity get tied with their work, she has learnt that one cannot create for social media platforms where art is competing with puppy videos and that artists cannot be thinking or judging their art based on likes and shares. She has been focusing on the process and not the final product. We also share a new-found love for pottery! She has been learning hand building and it is fascinating to see her exploring another form and still have a distinctive voice in design and I cannot wait to see all the beautiful art that she is gonna make and witness her beautiful journey. 


Sudeepti is wearing the Green maxi dress
Photographs by Arvind Sridhar
Featuring Sudeepti Tucker



Popular Posts